Sunday, October 15, 2006

Liberals and Poppies are red. Dion saw red!

The Winners:

Round 1: Martha. Obviously her issue, but she took the moment to shine.

Round 2: Dion, only because he threw Rae on the defensive

Round 3: Kennedy, good focus, took it through clarity. Ignatieff was dull. Martha almost called Kennedy a winner herself.

Round 4: Dion is on fire in the debate section, you'd think his kid was taken hostage! "Do you think it's easy!" I think he might have tore Iggy a new one.

Round 5: Brison took it away with facts and heart. Kennedy looks dashing, nice voice; he was hogging time on it though. Volpe is nonsense.

Round 6 (Iggy's tough one - foreign policy time!): Findlay did it - "Gentleman!". "He has no strategy on poppy!"-MI... No one said anything in their speeches. The debate, Findlay threw Ig on the defensive but he pulled it out of the fire, no not really. It's all about poppy. Rae got boo'ed that's bad. Oooo, Ig gave Rae his opening to bite about Qa'na! Ig had it coming!

Round 7: Dryden,"I hate guns." He spoke to me. Dion was good to point out they were all on the same side and opened it to ideas. Dion got the troops going. Brison was dull, bit mean of Dion to make fun of him. I think Dryden was right to speak of his philosphy on this.

Round 8: Kennedy. Rae was flat. None of them said anything. I don't even know what they are talking about.

Closings:

Findlay - Lovely pashmina. She's re-branding herself as Minister of Women, i.e. making herself a product to sell to another candidate. I like her.

Dion - "I have never had to apologize for any of my words or actions." "I am proud to be a Liberal and it did not take a leadership race to say so." Good camera shot as he waved and walked off stage.

Kennedy - He sounds so cheesy. I feel he's coach in an American sports movie.

Dryden - I could feel his heart on my lap. He is welcome for dinner anytime. I loved Dryden's closing - brilliant.

Brison - Best opening! He re-branded himself as Minister of Finance, i.e. making himself a product to sell, but not a great sell. Good opening, mediocre speech.

Ignatieff - I don't think people believe him. What a suck up to "dOLton"... I thought it was "dALton". Seems like such a face for hire.

Volpe - Nice opening, more personal than Ignatieff. Ouch, no he didn't!? Yes he did! He totally burned Ignatieff. Good closing.

Rae - Did he actually have a speech? First, he was snide about Ig not being here long. Second, he joked about helping Liberals get elected as part of NDP. Third, odd self-ambition analogy to Mat Sundin. Rae wants to lead from the centre. Whoop-t-doo. Oh, he through in unity as an issue. Nice use of Laurier, but a bit over-dramatic.

(I don't like the stage-walking microphones; like on Oprah.)

SUMMARY:

Ignatieff came across as out of touch.
Dion can't make a speech but can eat anyone alive. When he believes what he is saying, watchout!
Brison is clear-headed.
Kennedy is very photogenic and while he has stuff to say but he lacked grand stature.
Volpe stinks, he communicates like a creep.
Rae is so smug, I don't like him and I could see him getting elected but I'm not impressed.

It seemed easy to score points with the crowd by compliment Chretien and Martin governments. Plus, the boys all wore the same suits.

My choice for cabinet: Dion, Findlay, Kennedy, Brison and Dryden. That would be a good team.

No comments: